Initial File Download
POL Installation and Update
- Install FFXI and POL via the downloaded executable provided from playonline.com.
- Run PlayOnline and let it Update.
Prep FFXI for Update
- Once PlayOnline (POL) has updated and restarted, it will ask if you are a new or existing user
- Choose Existing User using 1234567 as username/pass/account id etc.
- Exit POL
- Extract the contents of the Darkstar Patch.
- Copy the contents of the patch.
- Paste the contents of the patch into the FFXI Directory, normally located at: C:\Program Files (x86)\PlayOnline\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XI\
- You should be prompted for overwriting files, select overwrite all files.
- Open POL.
- On the left side of the screen select "Check Files".
- If you get a separate popup window that says it's launching the FFXI installer or asks for install discs you can just close it.
- On the next screen where it says "PlayOnlineViewer" click the two arrows and change it to "Final Fantasy XI". The "version" should be "UNKNOWN"
- Click on the Check Files button.
- The initial file check will take around 15-20 minutes. This will show there are errors. When prompted, choose to fix errors
- POL will now update. The process will take 5-10 hours, depending on connection speed.
- Once FFXI is done updating, navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\PlayOnline\SquareEnix\PlayOnlineViewer
- Right-click the "data" folder and select copy
- Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\PlayOnline\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XI, right click an empty space in the folder and click paste. You should now have the "data" folder inside your /FINAL FANTASY XI/ folder.
Connecting to Supernova
Install 2015 Runtimes x86 version
Optional: Supernova Custom .dats installation
- Place the xiloader.exe in your POL folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\PlayOnline\SquareEnix\PlayOnlineViewer)
- Set pol.exe and xiloader.exe to run as administrator by right-clicking on them and going Properties, opening the Compatibility tab and clicking the Run as Administrator checkbox at the bottom of the window.
Install Windower 4
- Extract the files.
- Copy music176.bgw and paste into C:\Program Files (x86)\PlayOnline\SquareEnix\final fantasy XI\sound4\win\music\data overwriting the existing file.
- Copy 69.dat and paste into PlayOnline\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XI\ROM4\1 overwriting the existing file.
- Optional: Delete vulgar2.dic from PlayOnline\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XI\data\dic to disable swear filters, as the setting does not get saved.